Tuesday 24 February 2015

3. The Edge of Destruction

Before Watching

In case you’re wondering how I can say anything about stories I’ve never actually watched, I’d better come clean and talk about the sources for these meanderings. Through the 70s and up to the mid 80s I was a big fan – not a huge fan by the standards of some others I’ve met since, but nonetheless I didn’t just watch the show and read the Target novels, I also read Doctor Who Weekly/Monthly and books about the show – The Making of Doctor Who, and the Official Programme Guide by Jean Marc L’Officier being two good examples. So I’d come across synopses and a few details about the old shows, and just going on this I made a mental list of the Hartnell and Troughton shows that I’d never seen which I’d most like to see if ever the chance arose.

Now, being very keen on Science Fiction, no Historicals made my list, and it tended to be dominated by those stories with the most obviously sci fi elements. As a matter of record, in my Hartnell most wanted list were : -
The Keys of Marinus
The Sensorites
The Space Museum
The Chase
The Time Meddler
The Dalek Master Plan (because it had the return of the Meddling Monk)
The Ark
The War Machines
The Tenth Planet
Now, I know enough about current fan reactions to these stories to know that few of these are held in high regard by the cognoscenti. Well, we’ll deal fairly with each one when we get there.

You’ll notice that Edge of Destruction does not feature on my list. What I know about it, or the idea I’ve formed is that something in the back of my mind, some half remembered factoid tells me that this was something of a filler, as two episodes were needed, and no money was available for new sets, nor for any other actors than the four regulars. So all of this is set on board the TARDIS – the only story set entirely on board if I’m right. I’m looking forward to seeing how much of the TARDIS interiors we’ll get to see – I’ve already noticed how much bigger the control room is than the one I remember.

After Watching

I think I can safely say that I’ve never watched a Doctor Who story quite like that before. I don’t think that there is any other Doctor Who story quite like it.

It helped to remember that this story took place immediately after the conclusion to the Daleks. Last time out the Doctor was essentially duplicitous, seemingly sabotaging his own TARDIS to ensure that he can go and explore the Dalek city, thus putting the lives of his companions in danger. This story takes us completely over to the dark side and is a real journey into paranoia.

In brief, the TARDIS suddenly comes to a jarring halt in the Space Time continuum. All the four crew are knocked out unconscious for a while. Eventually they come round, and start voicing all kinds of crazy theories about what has happened. It is noticed that the doors are opened, and the crew fear that they may have an intruder. Susan touches the console and is electrocuted. Put to bed she wakes up, and tries to attack her crewmates with a pair of scissors. Well, it has to be better than self-harming anyway. Then the Doctor goes a bit tonto, and accuses Ian and Barbara of sabotaging his ship. The best part of the whole scene, in fact the whole story is when Barbara rounds on him furiously, reminding him of his own actions on Skaro, and the way that she and Ian have saved all of their lives both on Skaro and also back in prehistory. This is brilliant acting from Jacqueline Hill. Barbara has had good moments in each of the two preceding stories, but she’s brilliantly foregrounded here, and I can see why so many commentators on the series rave about Jacqueline Hill’s acting. She is absolutely terrific.

Not so terrific was an effect which happened after that. I’m assured that the thing which appeared was a melting clock. Looked at it twice, but honestly couldn’t make out exactly what it was myself. Eventually something that Barbara says about this being the only way that the TARDIS might have to communicate with them percolates through the Doctor’s anger, and he comes to realize that the Fast Return switch is stuck. Don’t ask. There is an explanation why this wasn’t picked up on the fault locator, but it sounded a little bit specious to me. Basically, the TARDIS is being instructed by the Fast Return switch, which is stuck, to go back to the Big Bang. All the silliness is basically the TARDIS refusing to do so and trying to alert the travelers to the danger. Crisis averted they touch down in the Himalayas. The episode ends with the four of them examining a gigantic footprint, which I think would have wrong footed a lot of the original viewers into expecting a story about the yeti (which were still several years in the future) next week.

I have nothing new to say about the way that the words Fast Return Switch are handwritten above it in felt pen.

Worse actors than the four principles might have murdered this. It comes off because it’s well acted. I’ve already mentioned Barbara’s outburst to the Doctor, but then there’s the Doctor’s monologue about how the universe came together, which has a little poetry and wonder about it. Also, and I make no apology for this, I got excited about getting to see so much of the interior of the TARDIS as well. Very few stories let you see any more than a bit of the control room and the console. This one gives you a lot more than that. There’s the automatic food dispenser. Then the strange space bed/lounger/chair things. In later series it becomes clear that companions have their own bedrooms, but in this one it suggests that they probably all sleep in the same area.

The fact that it was written by the series’ first script editor, David Whitaker, suggests that this might have just been written as filler, to use the sets that were already available, while things were being prepared for the next story, Marco Polo. On the other hand I am willing to accept that this was planned all along, to allow time for the characters and relationships in the TARDIS to crystallize without any distraction from outside. Whatever the case it just about pulls it off for me.

What Have We Learned?

The TARDIS has a fault locator, and it’s crap. Made by Binatone probably.
Barbara has balls (metaphorically)
The TARDIS has a heart, and some strange sort of awareness/consciousness
It is absolutely useless at communicating with the crew

No comments:

Post a Comment