Saturday 27 June 2015

46: The Invasion - Episodes 5 - 8

Before Watching

Shall I tell you the truth? OK, I will. I did watch this story when it was first broadcast, but other than a succession of images – mostly to do with marching Cybermen, I hadn’t any real memories of the specific story details. Then last summer I was browsing through a British Heart Foundation charity shop (other charity shops are available) and saw that they had a copy of Ian Marter’s Target novelization of the story. Yeah, of course I bought it. So I read it that evening – and yes, I rather enjoyed it too. So I pretty much know what’s going to happen in the rest of the story – the Cybermen will appear, but the story really has been Vaughn’s story so far, and it is going to continue to be so. I haven’t a problem with that.

What I will be interested to see is just how the story can juggle all these foregrounded characters – on the goodies side you have The Doctor, Jamie, Zoe, Isobel Watkins and the Brig and the UNIT boys. Then on the villains’ side you have Vaughan, Packer, the Cyber Planner, and half a dozen Cybermen. Somebody is going to lose out, even in an 8 episode story. I’m pretty much hoping it will be Isobel Watkins. There’s something about her, some indefinable quality which manages to get on my wick and set my teeth on edge. To be fair to Sally Faulkner, the actress who played her, I think she was actually written stupid and incredibly self-centered, but knowing this doesn’t make it any less annoying when she persists in calling the Captain her ‘dolly soldier’. Dolly Soldier?! What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I don’t want to be horrible, but this is one area in which maybe this story can be criticized. As I understand it the original idea was for Professor Travers to be in the story, but Jack Watling was unavailable, which is why they created the character of Professor Watkins and his niece Isobel. Presumably, had Travers been in the story, then part Isobel plays would have been taken instead by Anne Travers, the Professor’s daughter (as opposed to Deborah Watling, who was Jack Watling’s real life daughter.) Anne was a scientist, and more than that a grounded, strong, believable character, and would have been far better in my opinion than this self centred airhead.

Well, as I said, I read the novelization last summer, so I know that even though we’re four episodes in we’ve still got a lot of story to go, and wasting time here won’t accomplish that. So let’s go.

After Watching

Again, ladies and gentlemen, the plan was to not force myself to watch more than two episodes in an evening. Well, that went by the board again, as this set of 4 episodes (disc 2 on the official DVD) were another single sitting job – not because I had to, but because I wanted to. So that means I really enjoyed it, right? Of course – but that is, I enjoyed it on its own terms, as a fine adventure yarn, rather than a piece of great Doctor Who. I’ll try to explain that.

I can’t help thinking that the middle episodes, up to maybe halfway through episode 7, really start to get away from The Doctor, and for the first time since Hartnell’s first season it feels as if the Doctor isn’t really the star of his own show. I think that I know what the problem is too. It’s all in the Doctor’s relationship with UNIT. In this story he becomes little more than a UNIT operative. Ah – you might say – but isn’t that what he is in the Pertwee era a lot of the time, and that seemed to go perfectly well. Yes and no. The Third Doctor’s relationship with UNIT was a little more complicated than it seems to be in this story. In the Third Doctor’s time his relationship with UNIT was pretty much a marriage of convenience. Stuck in Space and Time after being tried by the Time Lords at the end of “The War Games”, UNIT provide a useful base for him to work at trying to get the TARDIS working, and breaking the Time Lord’s Edict. In return, UNIT get to call him their Scientific Advisor, and can avail themselves of the use of his services from time to time. It’s fair to say that the Doctor does not always help UNIT willingly, and there’s often friction between him and the Brig over the methods that UNIT uses – ie – if it’s green, bomb the hell out of it. Well, coming back to “The Invasion” it really is all far too cosy. The Doctor slots quite nicely into the organization, and there’s never the hint of the slightest conflict between himself and the Brig, which maybe would have added a little something extra to the story. After all, the second Doctor is, in my opinion, the least ‘establishment’ of all of the Doctors, and it might have been fun to see how UNIT might have reacted to a little of his inspired anarchy.

Doesn’t Kevin Stoney continue to be outstanding, though? There’s a wonderful, wonderful scene in which Professor Watkins is brought to him, and Watkins wearily concedes that he will have to do as Vaughn says, since Vaughn will surely torture him, and he cannot stand torture. He expresses his desire to kill Vaughan, and Vaughn hands him a gun, and tells him to shoot. You can’t tear your eyes away from the screen while he’s on here – it is played to absolute perfection. Of course, you know that Watkins, a decent man, is not going to be able to shoot Vaughn, because murder is wrong – but then he does! Three bullet holes appear in the chest of Vaughn’s jumper! It transpires that Vaughn has been part cyber converted. What a fabulous, fabulous scene – probably one of my favourite scenes of all of the ones I’ve watched since we started with “An Unearthly Child/100,000 BC”.

Well, we did get to see some more of the Cybermen too. I think I’ve already mentioned that this mark 5 cyberman ( I count the Moonbase and Tomb of the Cybermen separately, since despite their many similarities there is a clear difference in the hand arrangement.) is my favourite design – although there’s also a lot to be said for the mark 7 (Earthshock)  design too. Visually, director Douglas Camfield really gets the best out of them as well. The scenes marching down the steps of St. Paul’s and past The Horn pub are remarkable in as much as they really are every bit as good as the iconic photographs lead you to believe. It would have been nice to get some verbal confrontation between one of them and the Doctor, or Vaughn, but no, in this story it all happens through the Cyberplanner, which is a bit of a shame, and detracted a little from the story for me.

When we got to the denouement, there were echoes in it of the ending of “The Wheel In Space”. What I mean by that is the the Cybermen still need to be guided in from space by a radio signal. Alright, this time it’s the great cyber bomb which is going to destroy the earth, but the principal is the same. How do we deal with it – switch the flippin radio off. Not rocket Science. Mind you, rocket science is what they use to shoot down the cyber ship. I wonder why Derrick Sherwin decided to have UNIT ask the Russians to borrow a rocket to launch a missile at the cybership, rather than the Americans? I wonder what would have really happened in 1968 if the western world had asked the Soviet Union – Can we borrow one of your lovely rockets, please?

I think that “The Invasion” demonstrates just which different factors have to all work together to make a good Doctor Who story. By rights, 8 episodes should be too long to sustain a single story, and really and truly there isn’t really quite enough plot to keep you going here. What makes it work is good – and in some cases great – acting, terrific direction, and design which is far better than it has any right to be for the money that the show could afford to spend. No doubt about it, this was the shape of things to come.

What Have We Learned?

The Cybermen don’t actually have to do that much – just be there looking impressive
UNIT have remarkable resources at their disposal
Kevin Stoney is a class act whenever he is the chief villain

We can add hand grenades and intensified emotions to the ever growing list of things which can kill Cybermen

No comments:

Post a Comment